Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wednesdays

I'm going to try to post a blog at least every Wednesday during nap time.

Yesterday = 1st fail.

Well, it's Thursday, and I'll write today.

Sveta is doing extremely well!!! Last week was crazy: strep throat, hand-foot-and-mouth disease, Papa was away at a retreat on Friday night, 3 hour doctors appointment at Riley, having her blodd drawn, etc. Sveta struggled a few times at nap night and other times last week because of not feeling well and just missing Papa. We made it through though. She's learning English so so so so so quickly and she's doing great. Things she's said:
1. brownies or candy. which one? (while holding up 2 fingers like I normally do...this was when I asked her what she wanted for lunch)
2. no thank you, maybe zaftra (tomorrow)
3. Let's go.
4. Go get 'um.
5. Animals and their sounds:LOTS...not going to try to name them.
6. She prayed over lunch this week all by herself. Priceless.
7. When you ask her why mama and papa love her she responds, "God."
8. booteeful = beautiful
9. She recognizes the following letters: a, e, F, H, I, O, o, S, s, T, t, v, V, W, w. And she spells her name when asked...or sometimes just randomly.
10. She says, "I love you" or "I lu ew" to almost everyone. Including pharmacists at Walgreens (thankfully we know them).

She's responding great to both Barry and I...and will spontaneously hug or call out for both of us. It's amazing. She's ours and we are hers. We love her dearly.

Let me go back to something I mentioned earlier:Riley Hospital. Sveta is under the care of an International Adoption Doctor and we are having several tests done to see what vaccines and such she will need.

On to what I really wanted to mention today: Church. We have been attending our church's Batesville campus for the past several weeks and are grateful to have had the time together there. We will most likely be attending in Greensburg in the coming weeks depending on how Sveta is doing. If you see us in church (or even at Walmart) PLEASE use the following as a guideline:

1. WAVE. Sveta is still learning the difference between friend and fo, and a simple wave is a kind gesture.
2. Don't approach us if we look overwhelmed, are talking to 82 other people, or if Sveta seems to be curled up trying to avoid looking at people. It's not that we don't want to see you...it's that Sveta gets overwhelmed easily, and honestly, so does her mama right now. She was used to 3-4 rooms and a handful of caregivers...she was not used to large buildings, riding in cars, meeting new people, screens with words and pictures moving, or lots of people in one place. Please respect all of the changes she gone through.
3. PLEASE DO NOT touch her. Again, we are trying to teach her that she doesn't have to dole out affection to adults to keep them around. She is loved by us no matter what...and she doesn't have to hug and kiss and try to impress people at all. When she is ready, she will come to you. Maybe.
4. If she doesn't say hi to you, or even look at you...don't be hurt. Sometimes she doesn't look at me, or want to talk to me.
5. If I'm hiding in the corner of the church, or a dark room...it's for a good reason:Sveta needs a break from people. And, yes, that means you. Whoever you are. Unless you are Barry Morton.

I know I've said these things before, but this is just a reminder. I don't want to sound harsh at all...but I'm learning a great deal about living for the Lord instead of to please people. I want you all to know and see Sveta, and I want her to have the joy of knowing you all like I do...but mostly - I want Sveta to understand that Barry and I aren't going anywhere...and that we can love her because of our God. I want her to know HIM.

THANKS to all of you who've provided meals for our family. It has blessed us TREMENDOUSLY!!

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment