Friday, February 8, 2013

525,600 minutes.

1 year.  12 months. 52 weeks. 365 days. 8,760 hours. 525,600 minutes.

"In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?"

How do you measure a year in the life of a sweet little Russian child who was adopted by her family 1 year ago today.  I can't measure it.  I just can't quantify all that she's learned, been through, experienced.  It's too difficult.

So, instead I will rejoice in the love that she's experienced in this year...and I will pray that she will experience even more in the following years.

A year ago today she flew on an airplane halfway around the world with two strangers that she was told were her Mama and Papa.  She stayed awake over the entire ocean, and colored on a little white and pink pony that she still occasionally sleeps with.  She wore a little sweater dress that won't fit over her head anymore.  She was so brave.  She is so brave.

Last night Barry had her walk out to the car and told her we were on our way.  It was getting dark and when we got outside she was about halfway to the car.  She said, "I was a little bit scared, but I was being brave.  I didn't even cry."  It took me to a year ago.  I imagine that she would have said the same thing if I was able to communicate with her at that point.

And you know what...I would have repeated it back to her. 

A year ago, today, she met her grandparents and some aunts and uncles for the first time.  She met friends that she's kept, and our friends who prayed her home, and who've supported us immensely. 

A year ago, today, she set foot on American soil...and became an American citizen.

A year ago, today, she slept in her own bed, in her own house, for the first time in her life. 

And let me tell you, she's come along way in a year...but more than that...I've seen what God can do in a small year.  In just 525,600 minutes. 

He heals. He changes hearts. He teaches. He loves. He forgives. He is.

And, I'm so grateful that He put Sveta in our lives.  She is a constant reminder of his goodness, faithfulness, and love.  She is a joy and a challenge...and each day she causes me to seek His face more and more.  And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment